Are you prepared to deal with bed bugs?
Bed bugs pose a complicated problem for schools because there are so many potential sources (students, staff, and visitors) and potential locations (classrooms, offices, lockers, buses). Just as with head lice problems, it’s critical to have a well-organized protocol that addresses bed problems bugs safely and effectively. The protocol and other support documents provided here are a resource that you can adapt to your school system’s specific needs.
- Bed Bug Protocol for North Carolina Schools [PDF]
- Checklist – Preparing Your School For Bed Bug Treatment [PDF]
- Parent Notification Letter (English & Spanish) – MS Word
Additional Information about Bed Bugs
- Bed Bugs (Biology & Management) NCCES Website [ PDF version ]
- Bed Bugs – US Environmental Protection Agency
- EPA-Registered Bed Bug Products (Searchable database of pesticides)
- Bed Bugs (Centers for Disease Control)
- Preventing the Spread of Bed Bugs [PDF only]
- Preparing Your House for Bed Bug Treatment [PDF only]
- Prepando Su Casa Para El Tratamiento de las Chinches de Cama